It is very interesting to listen to different stories about people’s lives. So, an autobiography, as a kind of academic writing, is just like a live-long story to tell. An autobiography essay is a nice way to train your story-telling technique. However, it also can be very difficult if your writing skills leave much to be desired. So, what to do if you face this task and don’t know how to start?
An Autobiography Essay: Good Autobiographies
Table of Contents
Reading of other people’s stories is considered one of the best practices for autobiographies. Hence, if you don’t know how to start your own short autobiography, the very first thing for you to do is to define different types of this kind of writing and learn good autobiographies of different people. Here are some examples to read:
- “Long Way to Freedom” by Nelson Mandela. This book is an autobiography example which is known all over the world. It falls into the category of traditional autobiographies because it tells a lot about the life of a particular person. This autobiography example is worth reading.
- “A Moveable Feast” by Ernest Hemingway. This autobiography sample falls into the category of memoirs. “A Moveable Feast” by Ernest Hemingway is based on his memories about Paris in the 1920s. Therefore, this example of autobiography essay is a good source to see how great biographies were described.
- Different Comic books. Another way to compose your own autobiography is to draw it in the form of comics. For example, “Nemi” is comics about Norwegian girl who has similar appearance to her author Lise Myhre. Although comics and graphic novels need more drawings than text, they can express different thoughts and feelings clearly, sometimes even better than the text itself.
Table of Contents
This list of kinds of autobiography writing and examples to read is not finished because it just enumerates the basic ways to start writing your own autobiography.
Autobiography Template: the Best Practices for Autobiographiesmpose other written works. However, a professor may also ask students to create stories about themselves and the most important moments of their lives. Hence, it is necessary to learn an autobiography template and some tips that will help you to cope with this assignment:
- Think of a task.
Every professor may determine how the result of work should look, and even give a short autobiography example to students so that they can see what to do with this task. Therefore, if you don’t have a clear idea about what you should do, start from re-reading the task.
- Define the material to describe.
Although this kind of work is used to tell some information about the life of a particular person, it is still necessary to choose some stories or periods from one’s life to describe. It is so because, firstly, it is very difficult to compose an essay about the whole life; secondly, its size will leave much to be desired. Therefore, it is better to determine a certain period or a story to write about.
- Use a story-telling technique.
Such an approach is considered good even for ordinary essays. However, it is much better to use it for an autobiography essay because you may tell everything that you want with the help of first-person narration. Hence, it is a nice way to try this technique in practice.
- Don’t make your autobiography essay too personal.
Although the main aim of the task is to describe some periods or particular stories from one’s life, it doesn’t mean that you should open your heart. Just remember that each person has a right to have some secrets. Therefore, don’t make the text too personal so that not to embarrass your audience.
- Don’t go into teaching.
This kind of work is a nice opportunity to tell about yourself. However, you don’t have a right to teach someone doing something. Therefore, try to avoid tips and recommendations addressed to your audience. Otherwise, your text will be boring and you may fail this task easily.
- Revise a finished variant.
Don’t forget about revision because this measure helps to get higher degrees. Just find enough time to re-read it once again to check whether there are some mistakes or not. This part of work should be obligatory to you.
- Turn to professionals.
As well as any other kind of academic writing, an autobiography can be created by experienced writers instead of you. Therefore, if you don’t have enough time or desire to work on it, you always may choose this option.
This new task can make students cry: “How to write my autobiography?” However, even this situation has a way out. Hopefully, our simple step-by-step guide will help you to compose this text and to pass it successfully.